» Boxing Articles
» Tips to purchase best boxing gloves and shoes
Tips to purchase best boxing gloves and shoes
You can not achieve meaningful success as a boxer unless you are an adept at footwork inside the ring. No matter how excellent you are in your boxing skills, you will not be able to last long in a match if you do not have control over your feet. Wearing the right type of boxing shoes will help you to keep your balance, evade blows, and stay on your feet even if badly hit.
Here are few tips to help you purchase a good pair of boxing shoes:
- Broadly speaking, there are two different types of boxing shoes – the high tops and low tops. High tops are more meant for the kick boxers as they offer strong ankle support. Low tops are used by the regular boxers and also used during training and work outs.
- Boxing shoes that are not made of leather are much less expensive to purchase, but will not be as lightweight, breathable and flexible as the leather versions
- Spend time to select a pair of boxing shoes that fit you perfectly. This is important as any ill-fitting shoes can cause discomfort and affect your performance inside the ring.
- Make sure you select a pair of boxing shoes that are of light weight. Good quality boxing shoes are generally made from tough but light weight material. Again, if boxing shoes are heavy, it can interfere with your foot movement.
- It is critically important that the boxing shoes provide firm floor grip to prevent your slipping while the match is in progress. Select shoes that have superior rubber grip even if they be costlier.
- Check whether the boxing shoes have good shock absorption and support straps.
Boxing gloves provide some sort of critically required padding and are generally made of leather or vinyl. Boxing gloves are meant to protect you as well as your opponent.
Before buying a pair of boxing gloves, here are a few things you should know:
- It is wiser to choose leather gloves as they are lot more durable and provide better support – though they will cost more.
- The superior style of boxing gloves used by champion boxers are tied on with laces as it is found that laces provide a nice snug fit.
- Instead of laces you can opt for a pair of boxing gloves with Velcro straps so that you can easily put on the gloves and remove them. For amateur boxers and general training purposes, gloves with Velcro straps can be the best choice.
- Boxing gloves come in small, medium and large sizes. The average male boxer will need a large size. The average size for women boxers is medium.
- The weight of boxing gloves usually ranges from 10-20 ounces though most professional boxers usually opt for 10oz gloves. For training purposes, most gloves weigh 12 oz, 14 oz, and 16 oz. The heavier the glove, the more protection it offers particularly for beginners.
- Most boxing gloves available in the market have a thumb attachment feature. It is good to buy gloves with thumb attachment as it prevents a lot of thumb injuries and accidental eye gouges.
- One of the sure signals of the quality and craftsmanship of the boxing gloves is the stitching. Inspect the stitching at all the seams and make sure there are no loose strings or ends or gaps in stitching, and the thickness of the string used is satisfactory.
Boxing shoes and boxing gloves can be purchased from any athletic supply store, boxing pro shop and even online. Please remember that boxing gears are critically important for great performance in the rings and you should therefore pay more attention to quality than price when buying boxing shoes and gloves.