Boxing return to the Fitz Casino and Hotel Saturday night with a status room only crowd entertain by a short but action-packed night of fights. In the planned eight round main event, unbeatable southpaw Fernando Guerrero faced off with fellow super middleweight Chris Archer.
Guerrero started first round with a chopping left hand to Archer's midsection. Later Archer was down, grimace from another left to the body. Archer appear to be fighting out of the southpaw posture briefly but switched to conventional midway through the round. Chris was bright to land, largely by countering against Guerrero who was getting the machine rolling.
In second round Guerrero deliver an attack of body punches for most of the round. Archer survive the round by being slick sufficient to roll to his right and off the ropes were Guerrero pressed the attack.
In the final round of the fight, Guerrero cranked up the heat. Where Archer possibly will not defend with his guard, is were Guerrero hit him. Well execute shots flew and ricocheted off Archer's body, forcing him to take a knee. He would make the tally only to be overcome once again and referee Randy Phillips stepped in to give a standing eight. During the tally Archer's corner waive the clash off. The game Archer would not quit - happily his corner did it for him.
WBO/WBC middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik has traditional medical clearance to fight on December 5th by the Cleveland Clinic, promoter Bob Arum said to Mike Marley of Examiner com. If this turn out to be the case, then this is actually fine news because Pavlik could then go forward with his mega fight against Paul Williams.The clash was before scheduled to take place in October, but the fight had to be cancelled after it was learned that Pavlik still had a nagging staph infection on the middle knuckle of his left hand. When Pavlik cancelled the fight, Williams and his promoter began to look alternative for other bout because they were hesitant whether Pavlik’s hand would be healed in the near future.
Also, William’s advertiser required to keep him busy because Williams hadn’t fought since April, and having him out of the ring for an comprehensive amount of time is something that his promoter wants to avoid happening. Marley also reports that nearby only a few hundred tickets existing for the November 14th fight between Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto. With the clash still three longs months away, it’s dreadful to have a boxing fight sold out so far ahead of time. In difference, the clash between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez, which take place next month on September 19th, still hasn’t had all the tickets put up for sale out as of yet. That variety tells you right there which fight boxing fans are attracted in seeing.
Former International Boxing cruiserweight champ Vassily Jirov will be in front of Dominique Alexander on October 17th at the Celebrity Theater, in Phoenix, Arizona. Jirov, 26, hasn’t fight since 2007, thrashing Kenny Craven in a 2nd round stoppage. Jirov, shattered two of his prime years attempt to make a go at it in the heavyweight division. It was a moved fated for failure from the very opening because Jirov, 6’2”, didn’t have the height, power to fight effectively against the more powerful heavyweights in the division. As a heavyweight, Jirov was crushed in two of his five bout with one of them ending up in a draw.
Tavoris Cloud says Clinton Woods' better familiarity will count for little when the two meet for the IBF light-heavyweight title on Friday.Sheffield's Woods, 37, won the title in 2005 and secured four times previously losing it to Antonio Tarver last year. Tarver lost the title to Chad Dawson, who rapidly vacated. He might have more practice but it won't denote anything in the ring. All Clinton needs to do is show up. I know it's a huge chance. I'm the best form in my life.
The extremely rated Cloud has won all 19 of his fights, as well as including 18 by knockout, and the 27-year-old will be fighting in Hollywood, Florida his home state. Woods lastly won a world title at the fourth effort when he stopped Rico Hoye in Rotherham in March 2005.
He had previously come up tiny in challenges against Roy Jones Jr (2002) and Glen Johnson (2003 and 2004) and has lost mutually times he has fight in the United States. He was widely outpointed by Tarver when they met in Florida last April, top many to suggest his days in boxing were numbered. However, having replace old trainer Richard Poxon with Glyn Rhodes Woods earn the right to fight for the title again after beating Elvir Muriqi in Jersey on 14 February after 12 months out of the ring.
He either desires to retire and walk away from countless millions or he decides to keep fighting and make big bread in doing so. Whatever the case, Hatton needs to make a choice soon if he plans on building a lot of money in the sport.Hatton can’t give to sit around on his backside eating and drinking anything he wants, and getting as fat as a pig. The time for him to come back is now. Seriously, there isn’t a enhanced time for Hatton to come back than now. The reason is here you have a ideal opponent in Juan Diaz just sitting there waiting to be beaten up for an easy payday.
Diaz is like a session duck at an penny mall with a big bulls eye sitting on him waiting to be knocked over. He’s ideal for Hatton to fight and just what Hatton needs to make some of the fans forget concerning his loss to Manny Pacquiao. I don’t know what is maintenance Hatton from getting back in the ring. It couldn’t have been bad of a loss, I always consideration that Hatton was a tough fighter and would never let a loss mess him up mentally, but maybe I was wrong.
Besides Diaz, there’s Amir Khan who would be perfect for Hatton as well. Khan is vulnerable against big punchers and would likely have serious troubles against a fighter like Hatton. Khan is someone that Hatton needs to fight because he looks like a media creation rather than the real McCoy. Hatton might be the second boxer that exposes Khan. The longer Hatton waits to take a clash with Khan the more probable someone else gets to Khan first and knocks him into next year.
I don’t know if Hatton is frightened to get knock out or not, but he desired worry about that kind of thing against Khan. Freddie Roach is Khan’s trainer, has Amir fighting defensely and not meeting down on his punches like he used to. In effect, Roach has made Khan into quill fisted fighter who moves endlessly and hence is unable to get any power on his shots.
Even when Khan does fling flurries nowadays, they’re more like slaps than power shots. Certainly Hatton could take those kinds of shots without dipping for the ten count. Hatton might take Khan’s slaps all night long I’m willing to bet and give Khan a dose of his old power. In a way, Hatton would be doing us a favor by charitable Khan a beating and relieving him of his title. The longer Hatton waits to make his comeback, the better possibility he’s going to fail sadly.
The recurring Welsh featherweight, 2002 Commonwealth Games champion, is now next in line for a British title shot against champion Martin Lindsay. Arthur is victorious since his comeback in 2008 and beat highly-rated Akaash Bhatia in the British title eliminator. Arthur said that When I retired, I know I hadn't reach my potential.He supposed to be the first Welshman since Howard Winstone in 1958 to win a Commonwealth boxing crown when he won the lightweight division in Manchester in 2002.
The golden boy curved professional a year later in a fire of publicity, combating on many high-profile bills of then stable-mate Joe Calzaghe's undercards and won his first nine professional fights. But Arthur struggle to settle into the professional game and retired in the wake of back-to-back knockouts in 2005 by Haider Ali and Harry Ramogoadi.
The Cwmbran boxer returned to the ring three years later to beat Ayittey Mettle in April 2008. When I curved pro my Commonwealth gold medal was like a millstone around my neck Arthur told was chucked directly into the limelight with a big promoter and being on television I had a lot of pressure and that hope weighed me down - it was hard to carry. I had the force of people patting me on the back and saying how good I was going to be.
There was a force to bang opponents out and really shine. There was also the force of people criticising my every move. The 29-year-old added On my comeback I have fight in small hall shows and have educated my trade properly. Also I rather to be the underdog people now want to write me off and that suits me fine. The stress will return if I fight for a British title but I'm 29-years-old now and I'm more mature both as a fighter and as a person and so that I can handle things much better.
When I won Commonwealth gold my age was 22 and still I was a kid. While I have a great time first time around, I was young and I wasn't taking the game as seriously as I am now. Now I want to see how superior I can be don't want to be one more journeyman, I now want to win titles. I'm not involved in fighting six-rounders as there is not a huge deal of money in boxing.
Coming back was a huge gamble and monetarily it is a struggle for me and my family. But when I'm old and grey I don't want to imagine I had 20 years of being punched in the head but won nothing. I'm previously riding out my second chance and if I lose my next fight it could be my boxing career over.Arthur, now taught by former Commonwealth and British light-heavyweight champion Eddie Avoth, has quit his refrigeration and personal training businesses to concentrate on boxing full-time.
If something was proved last night in Juan Diaz’s resentfully contested 12-round decision victory over Paulie Malignaggi, it’s that Ricky Hatton would perhaps have a great chance of beating Diaz if they were to fight. Diaz 25, a boxer known for his high work rate, barely defeated Malignaggi by a narrow decision that has sent reverberation around the boxing world because of the divisive nature of the bout.Whether Diaz actually should have won or not, he failed to prove that he’s any better than Malignaggi. This is a good information for Hatton, 30, because he totally conquered Malignaggi in an 11th round work stoppage victory in November 2008. Since Diaz most likely won’t be giving Malignaggi a much needed rematch, this could leave Diaz free for Hatton should be involved in swooping in and grab an easy scalp.
I don’t know whether Hatton’s chin has been compromised or not in his recent 2nd round knockout loss to Manny Pacquiao in May, but I do consider that Hatton would have a good sufficient chin to easily beat a fighter like Juan Diaz. Diaz is small for a light welterweight, and doesn’t have the kind of big authority that would likely give Hatton much troubles. Even superior is that Diaz likes to go war on the inside, slugging it out with his opponents. This would be ideal for Hatton, because he wouldn’t have to deal with a fighter with a lot of momentum or movement like Floyd Mayweather Jr or Pacquiao. Diaz would be facing an opponent with better power than Juan Manuel Marquez and Nate Campbell, and would be in serious trouble unless Hatton’s chin really is as bad as some people think it is.
Although Diaz would be involved in fighting Hatton, mainly because of the big money that a clash like that would generate for him, I’m not so sure that Hatton would be forced enough to get back in training and take the fight. Even though Diaz is a boxer that is tailor made for Hatton, he might still be a little shell shocked from his loss to Pacquiao. Hatton needs to think taking this wrestle because Diaz is the perfect enemy for him and it would help Hatton get his career back in order. It doesn’t be the issue what Diaz does in the circle against Hatton, I can’t see Diaz having much chance in denting Hatton’s chin.
At close range, Hatton is hazardous and would be hitting Diaz with some major shots. Diaz didn’t look superior against Malignaggi in the second half of their fight, and had Malignaggi had a little more authority, he almost certainly would have stopped Diaz. Hatton would be bringing big influence into the ring and I doubt badly whether Diaz would even make it to the 6th round if he elected to slug with Hatton.
On the Calvin Murphy demonstrate today, Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr. called in and ended up battle it out in a back and forth hilarious argument. Jones accessible to fight Hopkins with the winner getting 60% and the loser 40% of the revenue. Near the end of the call, Jones go even further, saying that the two fighters could fight in a winner take all bout with the victor getting everything.
Afterwards, Jones excitedly laughed and made game of Hopkins, telling Calvin he ran off the phone at the mention of winner take all Jones then go on to say that Hopkins has been responsibility this for five yearsand it was his worst frightening to see me back and looking good. Jones was referring to his imposing 10th round TKO win over Jeff Lacy last weekend.
Jones was eager to let Golden Boy choose the judges, the gloves and the food he eats, saying I know I can beat Hopkins cause I’m back on my game. However, Jones known that the fight with Hopkins will probable never take place because he feels that Hopkins wants to disgrace him by making him take less than him, something that Jones feels is a payday for Roy getting a better cut than Hopkins in their previous fight which Jones won in 1993. Jones said that he doesn’t need Hopkins, because he prefer to go behind Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson, saying that he wants to avenge those defeats.
Jones after that added that he already beat Hopkins with one hand in 1993 and it wouldn’t be a problem to do it again. Jones sounded really sure and appear to get the better of Hopkins in the fight especially when Jones started chatting about the winner getting the bigger cut. When it came to the money issue, Hopkins said that if Jones was eager to take 40%, then there would be no fight. Jones said, I’m not going to bow down and take less. Hopkins then upset off his recent successes, pointing out that he had beaten Kelly Pavlik, Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson, and remind Jones that he had lost to Tarver and Johnson
Returning in January after a one-year dismiss, Guerrero effectively moved up to the super featherweight partition with a first-round knockout of Edel Ruiz. That was followed in March by a dreadful no-contest against Daud Yordan in which Guerrero was apparent by many to have encouraged a referee’s stoppage after suffering a cut in the second round. Three months later Guerrero gained a gauge of redemption by fighting through another cut and stopping former lightweight contender Efren Hinojosa.
I’ve been out for a month and a half in Big Bear getting actually and mentally ready for the fight. Those guys come in form and they come to fight, so I know Klassen is going to be ready.In assess the confront posed by Klassen, Guerrero approved the South African sparkplug might be the toughest assignment so far in his growing career. He has actually fast hands, and not just fast hands but his punch output he punches over a hundred punches a round and carries that all the way through the fight,” observed Guerrero. He’s a two-time world champion and to be a champion and to be defensive your title, you’ve got to have incredible in the tank.
Though Guerrero’s self-confidence is peaking having spent substantial time training with Sugar Shane Mosley in the Southern California mountains. Shane is enormously fast, not just with his hands but with his feet, and then there’s his ring generalship and the experience that he has. It’s a big help to see how devious Shane is in the ring and it really does up your game a lot just being in there with him.
Being in camp you forever want to better yourself and learn more, and improve on what you already have. We’ve been effective on a lot of diverse things and on fight night its going to show I think a lot of public are going to be surprised. We’ve been out here functioning hard and focus on different things and putting the package together.
Guerrero spoke of the advantage of training far from the distraction of home, despite his strong roots in the San Francisco Bay Area. Guerrero’s positive tone is a change from the almost disobedient one he was compulsory to strike earlier this summer, following the onslaught of criticism arising from his no contest against Yordan. Guerrero admitted that having to fight during a similar cut in his next fight out in June was a blessing in disguise.